No Story Lives Forever

No Story Lives Forever
Broken

torsdag 5 december 2019

When are you too "grown up" for enjoying certain things?

In 2017 I read a fantastic, bloody amazing fanfiction, that wasn't too long (as bloody amazing fanfics tend to be), but it was brutal, it was honest and it had the best emotional torture I have ever read. And the most funny thing is that this fanfic was inspired by the musical CATS. That musical, with barely any plot (which is a lie, there is actually quite a lot of plot if you listen to the words of their songs and analyse the play. But no, it's not easy to grasp the plot if you just watch it once and don't care more abt it) was the basis on a bloody amazing story.

Anyways, I remember reading it mesmerizingly on the metro and in buses from my phone.

She even started writing a sequal of the fanfic, regarding the characters that went through the emotional torture and how they cope and survive the aftermath, and she wrote four relatively short chapters.

And then she announced that she "has grown up and don't do silly things like writing fanfictions for a relatively happy musical with no plot".

I was baffled, but of course respected her choice.

Now I started looking for those fanfics again, to get inspiration, because they were so good, and I found out that she had deleted them. Deleted them! The only trace of her online presence she had left was a few of her comedy fics from the same fandom, but the angsty ones were gone.

Heck, I'm 24. I've posted stuff like torture from my fanfic on the internet, but I don't think like hell that it's "immature" to do so, as long as the angst and H/C is dealt with in a mature way (which it is and which her story was!).

I was just so baffled that this person felt probably embarrassed by writing angst on the internet now that she is a real "grown up".

I know that most online writers with decent quality content are over 20. Some of them might be around 18-ish, but the majority is probably closer to 30 than 20. People are talking about their spouses and heck, even about their children. There are mothers out there writing amazing content, for us, for free, and it should hell not be embarrassing, even IF you've written about though, horrible content like torture.

It should not matter! Age should not matter! You're real life should not matter online (as long as you're not doing anything harmful).

Argh! I get upset by thoughts like this.

Inga kommentarer:

Skicka en kommentar