No Story Lives Forever

No Story Lives Forever
Broken

onsdag 6 november 2019

Feedback on angst

I've always been so unapologetic, and especially when it comes to my own fantasies. Like, you better deal with my territory or get out- kind of stuff.

The story I've been writing on (and publishing on the internet) is an angst piece and at the last chapter, where the actual abuse and angst begins someone commented along the lines of "nonono, i can't this is too much"

I was... honestly startled and it made me extremely selfconscious.

Did I overdo it? This was just the beginning of the angst-part (there's also an adventure part and a fight scene and drama and love and all other kinds of stuff, the angst is the main theme of one arc in the story), but was it already too much?

I know authors shouldn't take all feedback that seriously, but it really made me think.

AM I overdoing the angst part?

I rewrote the next chapter, which I am about to publish today. The original version was angsty, but then I rewrote it as even more hopeless and helpless and total despair, and now I redid the ending of the chapter to end on a positive note, because I'm scared people will stop reading if they find it too much to stomach.

There's a genre in writing called Hurt/Comfort. Hurt/comfort (or H/C) means that you can hurt your characters both emotionally and psysically, but they have to have some sort of comfort after. You end things usually positively.

I decided to turn a little bit away from angst (which usually keeps the miserable tone for a longer time than H/C) in favour of H/C.

Because, for the first time in my life, I decide to listen to something else than my sadistic tendencies.

It is weird and a little bit scary, but I'll try.

But the hard moral choice is still there for my characters, and I will not change the devastation it'll give them.

Inga kommentarer:

Skicka en kommentar