No Story Lives Forever

No Story Lives Forever
Broken

fredag 17 augusti 2018

Musikens kraft

I've written of what acting means in my life, and it's kinda unfair to music if I don't reflect over what MUSIC has done for my life.

I saw the music video for Nemo by Nightwish somewhere around 2005/6/7 for the first time. I remember it crystal clear. The eyes of the front woman in the music video changed in a couple of scenes into skulls and I remember being totally blown away by it. By the skulls in the eyes and by the music itself. I listened to Nightwish a lil bit in elementary, but for the most time to Lordi and Teräsbetoni. Metal was really pop in Finland during this time, and all of the girls in my class listened to metal. It was mainstream to listen to metal. And when Ari Koivunen won Idols,  he was soo cool and cute and a metal head :)

In seventh grade eveyone started to listen to techno, but not me. I was completely sold on metal music, and when listening to Somewhere by Within Temptation, my GOD, it was like finding home. I knew that this is what I want in my life.

So I listened only to WT and Nightwish, Evanescence, Delain and Epica during seventh grade. I found comfort from it. I found purpose from it. Music (mostly NW) about horrifying stuff like death and suicide and massacres and whatever, it truly gives you a special kind of energy.

I have said it once and I say it again, indulging in songs about hurting oneself helps you from hurting yourself. If you imbibe art about it, then you don't have to do it. Because the same energy comes from the music.

I know there are many pop and indie songs about though subjects, but they're not as effective. They don't set that energy and life force.

Now, I still listen to metal everyday, but don't reaally (atm) struggle with self harm. But it still gives me the will to live on.

Being at metal concerts is the most powerful thing ever. Everyone chanting in the rythm of the drums, shouting, throwing metal signs and horn, the energy is enough to power a whole country for one evening. That is pure power.

And with that said, metal songs are not always about terrible things. Many of them are of love and the will to live and to never give up.

And that is purely enough in my life to live on. I know people who are used to pop don't understand why I love metal so much. They think it's dirty music. But they don't know. They don't see behind the loud image, they are insensitive to the power. I pity them. I pity them for never feeling the energy and life force that drives metal heads. For not giving it a chance. For being satisfied with pop music, with simple tunes and simple themes. For not wanting more.

And lastly, music has saved me. It gave me a reason to focus energy on other matters than pain.

Inga kommentarer:

Skicka en kommentar