No Story Lives Forever

No Story Lives Forever
Broken

torsdag 14 februari 2019

Makeup, part 2

I could babble for an eternity about theatre stuff because it's currently the only thing that fits into my ADD-brain, but I promised to explore some more fashion related topics. I should put my thoughts into something else than my character and her fate (and the production) so I try to focus on this instead.

Makeup is in a sense interesting.

When I was a teenager every girl wore make up. That doesn't mean they all wore fake eyelashes and eyeliner, but most of them used foundation, concealer, all this. Most of them used lipgloss, and eye shadow in everyday use, and eyeliner too.

It was a norm, and girls would freak out to not show the tiniest impurity on their skin. All the energy girls nowadays put into their IG-pics were then focused into the make up.

I feel like all of this has dissappeard. I do not take a stand whether it's better now, or if it was better back then, but the fact remains, few girls put that much effort anymore into their everyday makeup. Heck, at the school I'm working at I feel like I am the one caring the most about my everyday makeup. None of the elder teens use liquid eyeliner! They show their impurities without remorse, and a good third of the girls don't even use makeup at all.

Ofc it's awesome girls don't have to have a perfect skin anymore, but as I myself care about darker makeup feel a little bit pityful that my particular fashion doesn't seem that popular anymore.

The huge winged eyeliner is no hit among the younger generation, neither are the "emo"-clothes. I'm not scared for the alternative fashion, there will always be young women finding home into our fashion, but it does feel a little bit weird that their teacher is one representant of an alternative fashion. Not that teachers aren't allowed to dress the way they want.

But yeah, I'd like to see more brave young folks out there. Girls and boys who willingly break the norm of "not having too much eye makeup", or dressing in a certain way. I want to see more alternative looks in my everyday life. I want to see young people try out more fashion, without being scared of other people's gazes.

I want more teenagers to find themselves the way I found myself when I was twelve, with that army beanie with skulls on it.

Inga kommentarer:

Skicka en kommentar