No Story Lives Forever

No Story Lives Forever
Broken

torsdag 8 augusti 2019

Blogs and the inevitable change

Blogs are kind of a relic nowadays. Few people write blogs (sometimes I feel like I'm the only one actively writing but I don't care because I like it).

One of the blog portal of the part of Finland I live in, Ratata, is closing down. A friend of mine have (had) her blog on there, and now she has to download everything, every heartbreaking moment she'd shared to the world, and yeah, stay alone with her dark thoughts. Every blog on that portal is to be closed down.

I was one to read blogs. I love reading blogs! I remember being addicted to one blog that served as reality escape to me when I was 13-14 and the woman who wrote the blog really did cheer me up everyday. This was a time when a single post could get way over 100 comments. She now gets 20 at the most. That was a glorious time. The blogging golden era. I loved it.

Yes, there is Youtube. But Youtube is such a different format and with all the drama going on, a very shallow portal. I use Youtube mainly to listen to music, because my attention span with long videos is not the best. I miss when a 6 min long video was considered long. Now the uploads can be up to 40 mins long, and I can't handle that really well.

Blogs are so much better in that case. And I can't deny I love writing onto here.

I was 13/14 when I had my first blog. In 2010 I created my tumblr (unioncolours.tumblr.com), and the tumblr is only a medium for beautiful art and funny quotes, so it's not like a blog-blog, but in the beginning it served as a blog. But I've kept up this certain social media for close to ten years! In 2014 I created this blog, and that is five years ago. FIVE!

Sometimes I get the feeling that blogs are looked down upon. Why is that? Why is a blog worth less than a Youtube-video, or an instragram? It's barely worth writing long, personal captions to your IG-pics as it seems like your followers don't even read them, when as here? Well, that's the point.

Instagram is only for consuming. Consuming pictures and wonderful shots, a false recreation of others' life. This is where blogs could fix the cracks. They could show more deep stories about the person behind the screen. Youtube could be good too. I made that one Youtube-vlog-thingy one year ago, but I'm not sure it had the effect I wished. I don't think people even watched it.

That's why I think blogs are underrated.


Inga kommentarer:

Skicka en kommentar